Saturday, April 26, 2008

Make your own Paper Flowers

Ok, I have a new fun thing to make and you can make them too! I made these super easy paper flowers and I'm going to share how I did it. They'll be perfect when you just can't find the right embellishment for a card or page.



They're made by folding and cutting 3 inch square pieces of scrap papers, layering them, and then attaching a felt flower (made by fancy pants) and a brad. Its sort of like cutting out paper snowflakes.

Here's how you do it:
  1. Cut 4 pieces of paper into 3" squares.
  2. Fold it in half.
  3. Fold it in half again so now its in quarters.
  4. Draw, or eye, the pattern of a leaf. One point of the leaf should be at the center fold. The other point at the opposite corner.
  5. Cut out the leaf but DO NOT cut all the way to the point at the center fold. Here's a visual: Do not cut into the shaded part below that line.
  6. Unfold the paper and repeat 3 more times.
  7. Now, put a brad through the felt flower (or you could use a circle or other paper flowers) and poke it through the centers of your 4 paper flowers. Stagger the leaves and then open the brad. That's it.
A few tips:
I think it adds more interest to use different, yet coordinating, colors of paper. I made 2 flowers with pattered paper and two solid colored paper flowers.

You can also use different sized paper squares to cut your flowers. It would look great to use two 3" squares and two 2" squares.

I folded up the petals of my flowers to give it some dimension but you can leave it flat too.

I hope you enjoy making your flowers! Feel free to comment or email me with questions.

Now, off to wine tasting.... Cheers!

No comments: