Monday, July 28, 2008

Some things you can make...

I've been busy creating so many new projects. The kids have been sick so they've been sleeping more and we've been confined to the house. My lack of adult interaction has been vented through my scrap projects.

After the CHA new releases of Halloween lines, I've been inspired to use more of last year's stuff. BTW, have you seen the new Pink Paislee Halloween line called Vintage Moon. I LOVE IT! Oh, but I also adore the Halloween Cosmo Cricket line. Oh and Little Yellow bicycle has these fabulous velvet embellishments. Oh the excitement! Ha... I'm such a scrap nerd. But its that energy that inspired this creation.

Here's how you can make it: This is a 12 by 12 sheet of acrylic cut to this shape ( I just traced another piece of paper this shape). I inked the edges with Staz-On black, added some patterned paper (the purple spiderweb paper is from Making Memories, the black glittery paper is from Doodlebug, the witch shoes are from Reminisce patterned paper), and the bat and the saying are a sticker from Rusty Pickle. I punched holes in the top with my crop-a-dile and set the eyelets. With a little black rickrack, it makes such a spooky wall hanging. I hope you'll try it!
This next project started as a design team challenge for Yellowbird Scrapbook Store. The challenge was to "Go Green" by taking something that would have been trash and give it new life. I was not really excited about this challenge because quite frankly, trash doesn't excite me. But after a few cups of coffee, this coffee can became inspiring and is now our dog's treat bucket. This would also make an adorable cookie jar or piggy bank.

Here how you make it: Cover the coffee can with patterned paper. This paper from Sonburn Designs already had the cute dog pattern. Add the felt yellow scalloped trim from Creative Cafe to border the pattern. Add letter stickers to spell "TREATS". These letters are from American Crafts remarks book. Then I added black rickrack to the edge of the top. The top is embellished with dog buttons from "Dress it Up." I just cut off the back of the buttons with a scissors. Just make sure you use a heavy-duty glue for these. Last one here was another assignment for the design team. The project uses all items from Daisy D's or from around the house. My favorite part is the denim pocket. Madeleine had outgrown a pair of shorts and I simply couldn't wait to give them a new life.


The flowers are circles cut from plain cotton fabric (old sheets, a dish towel or curtain linings work great.) I cut them using my pinking shears but using a straight edge or fraying the edge of the fabric looks nice too. You gather the flower in the center and stitch it together (at the center) when you've arranged it the way you like. I brushed the tips with copper colored acrylic paint and added a brad. The ribbon "stem" is loosely adhered to the page with glue dots.
I hope you make some of these things. Feel free to email me or comment if you want more instructions or have questions. I'd also love to see what you make from these ideas.

Cheers!
Christy

1 comment:

Shalamar said...

okay, I'm loving the new things to your website.. so inspiring!! thanks for going over the step by steps....

hope all is well!!!